Attorney Craig Donais represents businesses, institutions, municipalities and individuals. His experience over twenty years, first as a law clerk to Justices Sherman D. Horton and William R. Johnson at the New Hampshire Supreme Court, then as an Assistant Attorney General for New Hampshire, and private practice have exposed him to a broad range of legal issues in transactional and litigation settings. He obtained the largest civil jury verdict in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire in 2007, in a fraud, breach of contract, and consumer protection action. Attorney Donais represents clients in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
Attorney Donais strongly believes that an attorney is most effective when actively involved in community activities and organizations, and participates as an officer, director or volunteer in a wide variety of civic, fraternal, municipal, religious, cultural, and youth serving organizations.
Areas of Practice:
- Business & Corporate Law
- Wills, Trusts & Estate Planning
- Real Estate Transactions
- Zoning/Land Use/Environmental
- Eminent Domain
- Condominium Association
- Railroad and Public Transportation Law
- Civil Litigation
- New Hampshire, 1997
- Massachusetts, 1996
- Connecticut, 1997 (inactive or “retired” status)
- Maine, 1996 (inactive status)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire, 1997
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1997
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, New Hampshire, 2007
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Massachusetts, 2008
- U.S. Tax Court, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2003
J.D. cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 1996. Member of Phi Delta Phi.
B.A., magna cum laude, with Commonwealth Honors, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Amherst, Massachusetts, 1992. Member of Omicron Delta Epsilon (Economics), Pi Sigma Alpha (Political Science), and Golden Key National Honor Societies.
- Malnati v. State, 148 N.H. 94 (2002)
- In re Estate of Raduazo, 148 N.H. 687 (2002), cert. den. sub nom., New Hampshire Dep’t of Health and Human Services v. Estate of Raduazo, Deceased 539 U.S. 942, 123 S.Ct. 2610 (2003)
- Town of Ossipee v. Whittier Lifts Trust & a., 149 N.H. 679 (2003)
- N.H. Motor Transport Ass’n. v. State, 150 N.H. 762 (2004)
- State v. Watson, 151 N.H. 537 (2004)
- Appeal of State of New Hampshire, 152 N.H. 565 (2005)
- IMS Health Inc. v. Ayotte, 490 F.Supp.2d 163 (D. N.H. 2007), 550 F.3d 42 (1st Cir. 2008, No. 07-1945) (local counsel for amicus curiae).
Department Of Justice’s Transportation and Construction Bureau: Trains, Planes and Automobiles, 45 N.H. Bar J. 78, 1, 2004.
- Legal Issues in Real Estate Foreclosures, National Business Institute, Manchester NH, 2012.
- Law Firm Management Basics for Solos and Small Firms, New Hampshire Bar Association, North Conway, NH, 2008
Honors and Awards:
- New Hampshire Union Leader, 40 Under 40 Recognition, 2010.
- Presidential Call to Service Award, 2009 (for lifetime volunteer service in excess of 4,000 hours)
- Silver Beaver Award, Daniel Webster Council, Boy Scouts of America, 2006
- Silver Antelope Award, Northeast Region, Boy Scouts of America, 2016
- James E. West Fellowship Award, Boy Scouts of America, 2007
- National Distinguished Service Award, Order of the Arrow, BSA, 1992
- Herbert G. Horton Service to Youth Award, Alpha Phi Omega, 2004
Associations and Memberships:
- St. Mary’s Bank, Manchester, NH, April 2011 – Present (Supervisory Committee Member)
- Daniel Webster Council, Boy Scouts of America, 2001 – Present (Council Vice-President for Administration April 2016- present. Member of Executive Board, Executive Committee, past Council Commissioner, and National Council Representative)
- Manchester Historic Association, 2010 – Present (Trustee)
- Salvation Army of Manchester, NH, Advisory Board, 2008 – 2012
- Queen City Rotary Club, Manchester, NH, 2005 – Present (President 2010-11)
- Franco-American Centre, Manchester, NH, 2003 – 2013 (Trustee, President 2008-09)
- City of Manchester, NH, Personnel Appeals Board, 2007 – 2013
- Safety & Health Council of Northern New England, 2007 – 2010 (Director)
- New Hampshire Supreme Court, Judicial Law Clerk, 1997-1999
- New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office, Assistant Attorney General, 1999 – 2005
- Getman, Stacey, Schulthess & Steere, P.A., Associate, 2005 – 2007
Bar Association/Judicial Branch Related Activities:
- Rule 170 Mediator & Rule 170-A Arbitrator, NH Judicial Branch Office of Mediation and Arbitration, 2008 – Present
- New Hampshire Judicial Branch Foreclosure Mediation committee, 2008-09.
- NH Bar Association, Committee on Cooperation with the Courts, 2005 – 2010
- NH Bar Association, Bar News Advisory Board, 2005 – 2014
- NH Bar Association, Law Related Education Volunteer, 1997 – Present
- New Hampshire Conflict Resolution Association, 2011 – present.
- Daniel Webster Inn, American Inns of Court, 1997-2001.
Fraternity: Alpha Phi Omega
Craig’s profile can also be found online at LinkedIn.